Subject: Re: crypto(4) and IVs
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 05/29/2005 15:09:59
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:

> I've been trying to do useful things with crypto(4) - or more
> precisely, trying to write code to pound on it in the hope of figuring
> out why I'm seeing certain errors when talking to a machine with a
> crypto accelerator in it.

For what it's worth, while working with both sides of /dev/crypto
(writing some applications and adding a hw-acceleration backend), I've
developed the strong impression that the /dev/crypto interface is
something of an afterthought or testing interface, and that the only
"first class" interface to crypto(4) is the kernel interface.

        - Nathan