Subject: Re: cgd and opencrypto
To: Eric AUGE <e.auge@moon-system.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 10/12/2004 19:27:46
--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 10:57:53AM +0200, Eric AUGE wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> Is there any plan to support hardware encryption drivers
> with cgd ?
>=20
> i guess the right question would be does cgd can use opencrypto
> framework or is there any plan to have some FAST_CGD option ?!

There have been some discussions about it.  At present, there is no
implementation of these discussions.  There are some intricacies and
some restructuring of cgd required to take advantage of hw crypto, in
particular it needs to grow a means to asynchronously schedule
encryption and decryption, and probably a kernel thread context to
facilitate this.  These changes would bring a few other benefits as
well, but the current simplicity of cgd is also a desirable feature.

All that said, I find cgd quite fast enough for every use i've put it
to. The problem isn't so much speed per se, but CPU consumption, and
to some degree processor monopolisation, since it presently does more
work that would be desirable in interrupt context.

--
Dan.

--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz

--qtZFehHsKgwS5rPz--