status of rfc2228 in ftp client?

Hi,

I don't see that the ftp client seems aware of rfc2228 security; certainly
the manpage is silent on the topic.  Will that be in the client anytime
soon, or does anybody know offhand of a pkgsrc-available client that has it?

More general question:  has anybody worked out a way to do secure file
transfers (via ftp or any other mechanism) with Verizon Online's web
host?  I just signed up with their DSL service, and it seems the only
ways I have to update the web host is via their web based Trellix "site
builder" (just gross), or with ftp ... and with vanilla ftp that means
my login/password going out in the clear ... and that's the main login/
password for my overall Verizon account, mind you, so it would really
be giving away the store.

I don't even know if their ftp server supports rfc2228 (which could make
the client question less pressing for me :), and they block the ssh port
(which I expect means no sftp either).  Anybody with experience using
verizon know of any way at all to exchange files with their server
without sending clear passwords?

Thanks,
Chapman Flack