Re: Adding opencrypto, crypto acceelerator to GENERIC kernels?

[ port-i386 and tech-kern trimmed, tech-userlevel on bcc, thread moved to tech-crypto ]

On Nov 18, 2003, at 4:07 PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

Below is the patch I posted to tech-crypto in August.  I know Jason
has tried it; last call for feedback before I commit this, too...
Please send me an explicit cc: with any feedback.

After thinking about this a little bit, I think I would like for the libcrypto stuff to only use /dev/crypto if acceleration hw is available for the requested algorithm.

This is because using the kernel for the sw crypto is a neat little way for things like ssh to cause a kernel thread that will not be preempted to suck up a lot of CPU time. I'm not sure I like that very much.

Is this pretty easy to handle in the OpenSSL "engine" support?

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej%wasabisystems.com@localhost>