Re: OpenSSL + opencrypto

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 05:07  PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

NB: the kernel currently honours requests on /dev/crypto transforms
which end up being handled in software. That's a
performance-measurement hack: both FreeBSD and OpenBSD disallow
/dev/crypto access to software operations.  I'd planned to turn them
off just before the openssl libcrypto patches go in.

Seems like that should be a per-file descriptor policy tweak. I'd say default to "don't allow software transforms to service this fd", but add an ioctl to enable it. My measurements clearly show that the in-kernel 3des-cbc is faster than the libcrypto one for large blocks!

(Though, "non-preemptable kernel time" vs. "preemptable user time" is one aspect of the issue to consider, I guess :-)

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej%wasabisystems.com@localhost>