py-m2crypto Package Needs Up-to-Date OpenSSL

I'd like to try out the py-m2crypto package.  Unfortunately, when I
try "cd pkgsrc/security/py-m2crypto; make" I get this error:
> ===> OpenSSL 0.9.7b or higher not installed.

The current openssl package only installs version 0.9.6g.  I'm running
NetBSD 1.6.1 (not current) and using a current pkgsrc tree.  What
seems to be happening is that OpenSSL 0.9.7b will be part of the next
NetBSD release and is now part of NetBSD-current.  My guess is that
people running NetBSD-current can successfully use the py-m2crypto
package.

I can learn all about OpenSSL, the NetBSD package system, write my own
upgraded package, and get it working with py-m2crypto.  But, it occurs
to me that there's probably somebody on the NetBSD team who can pretty
easily upgrade the openssl package and save me a bunch of time.

Is there such a person?  Would it be much trouble? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Thanks,

Peter