Subject: Re: Heimdal: patch to fix krb5_enctype vs int confusions
To: Johan Danielsson <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 01/04/2002 15:03:24
On 4 Jan 2002, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Ben Harris <> writes:
> > I've recently been trying to arrange for it to be possible to
> > compile NetBSD with -fshort-enums, since it looks like the ARM ABI
> > might require this.
> Isn't this in violation to the C standard?

I don't think so.  The ancient C89 draft I've got here just says, "each
enumerated type shall be compatible with an integer type; the choice of
type is implementation defined."  I think that allows for enumerations'
being different sizes.  It certainly allows their being a different size
from ints.

Portmaster, NetBSD/arm26               <URL:>