Subject: kerberosV with kerberosIV compatibility
To: None <tech-crypto@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 11/01/2000 16:38:41
Should this be working?  Am I doing something wrong?  If I'm not doing
something wrong, what can I do to help solve the problem?

bb# kinit -4 gendalia
gendalia@IASTATE.EDU's Password:
kinit: converting creds: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm

I have /etc/krb.conf /etc/krb.realms, /etc/kerberosIV/krb.conf,
/etc/kerberosIV/krb.realms, /etc/srvtab, and /etc/kerberosIV/srvtab.
I'm not sure I've got whatever needs to be set up in krb5.conf
configured correctly.

I ktrace'd kinit -4, and while I mention our machines kerberos-1 and
kerberos-2 in my /etc/krb5.conf, it also seems to go looking and find
our windc1 and windc2 machines, our windows kerberosV domain controllers.
I'm not sure how it found those.  Possibly it goes out and tries to do
windows style kerberos detection?  Of course, the windc[12] machines
don't do kerberosIV at all.

Do we have documentation on setting up K5, K5 with K4?
I couldn't figure out where the keytab went until I ran strings on the
libraries (/etc/krb5.keytab isn't the most obvious place I've thought
of).  I'm not sure why we bother to have an /etc/kerberosIV and an
/etc/kerberosV when nothing uses them.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu