Subject: Re: lib/9702: Makefile lossage for crypto-intl
To: None <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 03/29/2000 21:25:29
Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> >Number:         9702
> >Category:       lib
> >Synopsis:       Makefile lossage for crypto-intl
> 	There is a problem with the Makefiles for the crypto-intl stuff.
> 	It remakes things too often.
> >How-To-Repeat:
> 		cd src
> 		make build
> 		make UPDATE=Y build
> 	Watch how the second make recompiles a lot of the crypto libraries.
> 	This can't be necessary and it's very annoying on slow machines.
> >Fix:
> 	Makefiles move mysteriously, meandering maliciously...

I _think_ from memory that this is because commands like compile_et and
so on get rebuilt (because libc is updated) and they have dependancies
on them so other files get rebuilt.  Do you get unnecessary recompiles
if you "make UPDATE=y build" yet again?

Without looking, a fix could possibly be to get compile_et to generate
it's output into a temp file and compare that with the old generated
file and only update it if it's changed.

Anyone who knows this side of the world any better got any comments?