Subject: Heimdal import into crypto-intl
To: None <tech-crypto@netbsd.org>
From: Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 01/08/2000 13:56:29
So I have been hacking on integrating Heimdal into crypto-intl.  Some
questions creeped up while doing this.

The idea is to import the Heimdal distribution as-is included in dist
and then a tree with Makefiles that refer to the source with .PATH and
that build the programs.  Heimdal normally builds with autoconf so a
generated config.h and version.h will be installed in the shadow tree.

1. Bootstrap programs.  Heimdal has two programs that are build and
   that are used during the build process.

   a. How do I make sure the right thing happens when cross-building?
   b. How can I specify the order that stuff needs to be build in
   while compiling?  Right now, I have moved the stuff that's
   important into subdirectories of the relevant libraries for them to
   get build in the correct order.
   c. Since these need to be run when building the tree, some amount
   of -rpath was needed to be able to run them before the required
   libraries are installed.  But that's bad since when installing them
   you don't want those paths in the binaries.  What's the recommended
   way of handling this?

2. There's some infrastructure stuff that's not necesarilly tied to
   Heimdal and that should probably go into the normal source.  But
   for now I'll import it as part of Heimdal and then try to move
   things to a more proper location.

3. Integration into the normal programs and daemons I'm not sure how
   it should be done and will have to happen later.

4. What libraries should be made shared and/or installed?

5. I don't quite understand how this is supposed to fit into
   crypto-intl/Makefile* and src/Makefile*.  Anyone care to enlighten me?

The shadow tree looks like this the following and is available as a
tar-file from http://www.sics.se/~assar/netbsd_patches/heimdal-netbsd.tar.gz

Comments?

/assar

lib