Subject: Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 01/21/2006 13:19:41
On Saturday 21 January 2006 11:30, George Georgalis wrote:

> Well the advantage to having sge in pkgsrc is not only for this
> version but future versions. Maybe math/R is a bigger deal for
> that... many upgrades. I don't expect any major build issues with
> either, so I may go with /usr/local installs just to be able
> to support newer versions quicker.

As far as math/R goes, thats a package that tends to keep up with the latest
version reasonably well as we have some heavy R users here and I'm the
maintainer of that package.

> So I'm curious, if there is
> something that makes each (most) sge pkgsrc versions difficult, or
> is it just too east to tar xjf && cd && configure && make install,
> so the pkgsrc lags behind?

I think mostly its just someone having the interest to do it, and in fact if
it is just as easy as "tar xjf && cd && configure && make install" its more
likely that the pkgsrc version will be kept up-to-date.  I think the large
number of patches required for the 5.3 version may put people off looking at
updating it but since 6 reportedly builds cleanly on NetBSD many of these
patches can probably go away.  I don't know, as since I asked someone else to
look at updating the package I haven't looked closely myself - I'll chase
them tuesday (monday's a holiday) and see where its at.

cheers
mark