Subject: Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 01/18/2006 11:02:00
--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:58:31AM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
=20
>  http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/in-Action/jschauma-matlab.png
>  More information is available at
>  http://www.spg.tu-darmstadt.de/~hf/notes/matlab-on-netbsd.html and
>  http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-i386/2005/10/07/0002.html.
>=20
> That must be your desktop. Does MatLab optionally run graphical
> or command line?

You can run either.  If the DISPLAY variable is not set or if you pass
the '-nojvm' switch, matlab will start in command-line mode:

Warning: Unable to open display , MATLAB is starting without a display.
  You will not be able to display graphics on the screen.

                              < M A T L A B >
                  Copyright 1984-2004 The MathWorks, Inc.
                         Version 7.0.0.19901 (R14)
                                May 06, 2004

=20
  To get started, type one of these: helpwin, helpdesk, or demo.
  For product information, visit www.mathworks.com.
=20
>> help=20
HELP topics

=2E..

>  Can it make use of cluster/grid resources for modeling?

I think it can if you have licensed the proper toolbox.  We did license
an MPI toolbox (IIRC), but I don't know if my users have actually
utilized it.

> >I believe there's a package in pkgsrc (parallel/sge), which is native.
> >But it's not up to date, and I haven't tried it out.
>=20
> I saw sge in pkgsrc. Was thinking to adjust version in makefile or just
> build in /usr/local -- I don't expect any issue there, just wondering
> if there where any.

I don't think that you can just adjust the version.  It's a fairly
complex package with many patches that may no longer apply or may have
been included in the original distribution.  Your best bet is probably
to first see if you can build the pkgsrc version and if that's
sufficient.  If so, great.  If not, download the official tarball and
try to build it yourself.  If that works, see if you can package it.
Either way, post your results!

-Jan

P.S.: X-post and followup-to tech-cluster.

--=20
If you are undertaking anything substantial, C is the only reasonable choice
of programming language.
	-- UNIX User's Supplementary Documents

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--