Subject: Re: FreeBSD's package cluster
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 05/27/2005 00:57:45
On 25-May-2005 Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:03:40AM +0200, Lars Nordlund wrote:
>> My idea on the bulk build cluster based upon the parallel-patch was to
>> use something like parallel/glunix, which, I think, itself can
>> distribute work in the cluster with the supplied 'glmake' binary.

I would like to comment on this really quickly.  While I would be happy to see
glunix get fixed in the pkg collection, the honest truth is its mostly useful
as a reference tool, and a whole parallel system.  It is *not* good for
parallel compiling.  Originally thats what I wanted to do with it when I ported
it.  After discovering that it wasn't what I needed at all, I ended up writing
ClusterIt.  ClusterIt was designed specifically for parallel compiling, and I
think you will have more luck going that route.  Specifically what you probably
want is jsd/jsh, and barrier/barrierd.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/