Subject: Re: Cluster work?
To: NetBSD tech-kern <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-cluster
Date: 02/29/2004 18:42:22
--1z3GODAf0autvy/P

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:59:03PM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:
>    I was wondering if anyone was working on changes to make NetBSD do clu=
ster=20
> computing like Mosix (http://www.mosix.org/)?   Process migration, cluste=
r=20
> I/O, ...

Did you look at pkgsrc/parallel? There are several MPI and PVM
tools, a port of Berkeley's GLUnix (which provides the
process migration you're asking about, but not necessarily the
cluster I/O... don't know how functional that is at the moment,
though), and Tim Rightnour's clusterit (which is definitely--and
purposely--bare bones compared to what you're describing, but it
wouldn't be a bad starting point).

>    I'm working with a group that is using a mosix cluster, but I'd rather=
 use=20
> NetBSD than GNU/Linux.

It would be rather difficult to port Mosix directly to NetBSD, if
that's what you're after.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:45:19PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> I'm still interested in a port of SGE to NetBSD, but have not
> even found the time to download it, much less look at what might
> be necessary...

I would also be interested in that, but GridEngine doesn't really
provide the things that Phil's looking for. It's more useful for
dispensing and scheduling processes. It doesn't do migration or
cluster computation of I/O.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:16:16AM -0600, David Burgess wrote:
> I have an intern that might be interested in some of this.  If you have
> some 'getting started' details on a problem like this, send them to me and
> I'll see what we can do.

If you've got an intern interested in porting GridEngine to NetBSD,
they should probably start with the Sourceforge page:

  http://gridengine.sunsource.net/

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net