Subject: Re: visiting SFBA May 5-12, 2007
To: Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@menelos.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: regional-sfba
Date: 05/04/2007 23:11:53
On Apr 30, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:

>> I generally prefer not-crowded, but either of those places seem OK to
>> me.  The _big_ question is whether Tracy & Jason will want to come
>> all
>> the way to SF from Palo Alto...  (I would encourage it, being the
>> lazy
>> sod that I am, though)
>
> I'm told that it's about 30-35 miles.  I'll have a car, but I'm not
> sure
> how much that helps, given parking?

If you pick the right place, parking isn't too much of a problem.  For
example, being the lazy sod that *I* am, I generally drive to these
events, as well, and don't have too much trouble.

Your biggest issue will be the traffic.  US-101 sucks donkey arse,
traffic-wise.  Take I-280 if you can swing it.

> As for locations, as I just told riz, I only barely qualify as a
> developer.  I mostly don't drink.  I don't like any beer I've tried
> and I don't much like coffee or tea either.

While the concept of "mostly don't drink" is totally foreign to most
people who live in San Francisco (this is a really great bar town :-),
just about every place where you can order food has plenty of non-
alcoholic beverage selections.

> The only locations I currently can find are the Stanford Guest
> House, the SFO airport, and the Googleplex.  But maps are my friend,
> and I'm bringing my GPS along.

Awww, don't let the 3 orthogonal traffic grids scare you!  San
Francisco is easy to navigate[*], really!

[*] Just don't try to cross Market St., or assume you can turn left
off of Market St., or turn left ONTO Market St., for that matter.  In
fact, pretty much just avoid Market St. if you are in a car.

-- thorpej