Regional-nyc archive

computer books for good homes...

As a result of finally getting my (ridiculously large) library
straightened out, I've discovered a large number of duplicates.  I'd
like to give the computer books good homes with people who will use
them well. Here's the long list in no particular order -- get in touch
if any of these interest you.

Perry

Three volume set:
The Art of Computer Programming, by Donald Knuth
Vol. 1 Second Edition FUNDAMENTAL ALGORITHMS
Vol. 2 Second Edition SEMINUMERICAL ALGORITHMS
Vol. 3 SORTING AND SEARCHING

Two copies of:
The UNIX Programming Environment by Brian W Kernighan and Rob Pike

Internetworking With TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture
by Douglas Comer, 1988

Data Structures Using Pascal, by Aaron M. Tenenbaum and Moshe J. Augenstein

Pthreads Programming
by Bradford Nichols, Dick Buttlar & Jacqueline Proulx Farrell
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc, 1996

POSTSCRIPT Language Reference Manual
Adobe Systems Incorporated, 1985
[Not quite the latest version, but "good enough" for almost all purposes]

POSTSCRIPT Language Tutorial and Cookbook
Adobe Systems Incorporated, 1985
[Not quite the latest version, but "good enough" for almost all purposes]

Exploring Expect, by Don Libes
[AKA the O'Reilly Expect book, invaluable when you have to automate
sysadmin tasks using interactive interfaces not designed for automation]

Tcl and the Tk Toolkit by John K. Ousterhout

Two copies of:
The TEXbook by Donald Knuth
(Spiral-bound paperback version)

Programming in MODULA-2; Third, Corrected Edition by Niklaus Wirth

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols
by W. Richard Stevens

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2: The Implementation
by W. Richard Stevens & Gary R. Wright
[This book is the best intro to the BSD networking code you will find.]

The Practice of Programming by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike
[Published in 1999, and a great book on practical programming.]

The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
by McKusick, Bostic, Karels & Quarterman

Garbage Collection: Algorithms for Automatic Dynamic Memory Management
by Richard Jones & Rafael Lins
[Amazing monograph -- must read for anyone doing work on garbage collectors]

The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition
by Bjarne Soustrup
[Hardcover, from 1997. I *think* this is still current, but I have
 trouble keeping up with C++ standards updates]

The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
by Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.
[Still a must-read after all these years]

Literate Programming by Donald E. Knuth

A Quarter Century of UNIX by Peter H. Salus
[From 1994 when Unix was not yet almost 40 years old]

Casting the Net: From Arpanet to Internet and beyond...
by Peter H. Salus
[From 1995 when the net was not yet almost 40 years old]

Software Tools in Pascal by Kernighan & Plauger

Internet Routing Architectures by Bassam Halabi

PCI System Architecture, Third Edition
by Tom Shaley/Don Anderson (MindShare, Inc)

The SCSI Bus and IDE Interface: Protocols, Applications, and Programming
by Friedhelm Schmidt