Subject: Re: soekris
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 02/18/2005 06:47:33
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> writes:
> I've been using a succession of quick-dying sparcstations for a
> firewall/dns/postfix box.  My new apartment is much quieter, sufficiently
> so that the sparc and my old PII 233 are noticeably noisy.  Time for a
> change, methinks.  Something that will stay on the no-bother list for a
> few years.
>
> The basic Soekris box seems to support a 1 GB CF microdrive and seems
> ideal for what I want it for.  Any reason not to buy one?  Better
> suggestions?

The Soekris will work, but I think a silent box from Shuttle will
probably serve your needs better. The overall price will be better and
it will be a "modern PC" instead of a souped up 486 based embedded
board. The Shuttle boxes are reputedly quite nice. There are also
other companies that make similar boxes.

Perry