Subject: Re: soekris
To: None <>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 02/17/2005 10:42:03

>>>>> "jkl" == James K Lowden <> writes:

bah.  i hate to respond seriously but...whatever, i'll be lame.

   jkl> The basic Soekris box . . .  seems ideal

If you get one, let me know how it works out.

soekris has a lot of competitors.  I don't know much about any of
them.  Here are a few I stumbled upon blindly. -- soekris and others -- this is the guys

also search for the ``pc104'' form factor.

The problem I see with them, it's hard to forward high pps, so if you
use it to route on your LAN,...not good because all these tinyPeeCees
I've seen have crappy Ethernet cards/drivers.  It's a real issue.  I
have a 300MHz PeeCee laptop with 3c589 and PRISM2 that has >90% CPU in
'interrupt' just forwarding 5Mbit/s of big packets.  Granted, it has
moronic interrupt routing with everything on INT9, but I was still
surprised it's so poor.  If you have multiple LAN segments or
802.11a/g, then I think you might benefit from a better Ethernet card
than rtk, although I don't know which drivers are good any more.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)