Subject: RE: Beer and a q
To: Lindgren, Jon <Jon.Lindgren@gs.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 02/07/2004 12:14:09
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Lindgren, Jon wrote:

> That was part of it.  I keep thinking "demand paged executables" but I don't
> think that's quite the term.

That would be about as close as you can get. Although that's usually
used to indicate that the entire executable is mapped, with the file on
disk as the backing store, but pages are actually read into memory as
they're accessed, rather than all at once at the beginning.

For what you're talking about, there's likely no term for it because
it's the easiest way to implement mmap; as I pointed out before, doing
it the other way is harder, as well as less efficient, so I would
imagine nobody's done that.

Now drink your beer.

cjs
--