Subject: Re: Anyone ever used a Compaq EVO laptop?
To: Jonathan Kay <jpk@panix.com>
From: Joe Battle <battlej@groove.com>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 06/03/2003 12:04:53
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:30:38AM -0400, Jonathan Kay wrote:

> > > Not afaik.  Apple's native GUI isn't X, but has a built-in X server.  I
> > > think you'd have to dump the whole GUI system overboard to run fvwm1.

<snip>>
> fwiw, running the full-screen X pretty much hides the rest of OS X,
> just hit Apple-H and it's gone and you can easily watch DVDs/whatever.
> the only real problem I have w/ the PowerBooks is that they only have
> one mouse button.  :-P~

FWIW, running full-screen X under NetBSD on a powerbook pretty much hides ALL
of OSX. if you prefer some of apple's cush, you can run X fullscreen under
Darwin, and still use some OSX apps. (or help with the NetBSD MACHO binary
compatability and Darwin emulation project :)
And, if you insist on running OSX, there are several apps (some free, some
not) that give you back your X-like destop under Aqua (the OSX window manager)
things like mousefocus, autoraise, and virtual desktops are all there.
the gumdrop widgets and bindings are hard to lose from aqua, tho, so NetBSD
might be your only sensible choice.

I admit the single mouse button is a problem. Note that all the above OSes
will use an external threebutton mouse. I travel with one. not an ideal
solution. but then, there's this neat toy:
 http://www.fingerworks.com/TS_PowerBook.html
which obviates a mouse entirely!

so, now can we talk about BEER!

anyfoo,