Subject: Re: Anyone ever used a Compaq EVO laptop?
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 06/03/2003 12:09:23
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:

> > Tempting. But is it really that easy to dump the powerbook's window
> > manager, etc. and use my heavily customized fvwm1 setup instead?
>
> Not afaik.  Apple's native GUI isn't X, but has a built-in X server.  I
> think you'd have to dump the whole GUI system overboard to run fvwm1.

So basically, it sounds as if I have to change all of my gui usage
habits in order to have the convenience of being able to have
point-and-go DVD playing and suchlike. Given that I even hate
point-to-focus for a start, not to mention that I use various keys,
and meta-mouse-button combinations rather than window decorations for
resizing, movement, iconization, etc., this would be a pretty drastic
change for me. So there are indeed good reasons for some people to have
a go at making DVD-playing software or whatever work under NetBSD instead.

(Well, I have another good reason: Apple doesn't sell any laptops that
are much smaller and lighter than a Sherman tank. My extreme limit for
weight is 1.5 kg.)

> The only Win32 application I ever run is its crappy one that plays
> DVDs, because when I want to watch a movie, I don't want to fiddle; I
> want to press play. From a clean boot, I can almost always get to the
> end of the movie with no hassle and only a modicum of sourness in my
> mouth.

You know, I found that a $100 DVD player was even better for that. It's
much easier and faster than rebooting into Windows, and more reliable as
well.

cjs