Subject: Re: Anyone ever used a Compaq EVO laptop?
To: None <regional-nyc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 06/02/2003 23:16:56
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:29:56 -0400, Jan Schaumann <jschauma@NetBSD.org>
> wrote:

> > I don't know about the T40, but when I got my T30, I unwrapped it,
> > popped in the install CD, booted, installed NetBSD and was up and
> > running in about 15-30 minutes.  Another hour or so and I had all the
> > packages I most commonly use and a custom kernel.  No hassle whatsoever.
>
> Does that include DVD playback, Jan?

Yes.  I admit, I don't have the S-Video out working, however.  Also, I
have not yet watched a full feature movie on my laptop, so I don't know
how well it plays them after, say, an hour.

> When you take it from work to home or whatever, does the network
> automagically detect what's going on and the Right Thing?  Or does it
> need some encouragement?

Well, I do run my own little script to set the correct WAP key for
wireless depending on the location before it runs dhclient, but I don't
consider that to be more exhausting than to click on 'switch location'
(or whatever it's done under Windows or OS X).

> I'm *not* whining.  It just seems to me Apple has filed the rough edges
> off BSD, and offers pretty good value-for-money in the nosebleed market.

I'm just saying that my laptop, running NetBSD, does absolutely
everything I need it to do, without any hassle.

He, and I really do want one of these sexy 17" powerbooks, too. :)

-Jan

--
Wenn ich tot bin, mir soll mal Einer mit Auferstehung oder so
kommen, ich hau ihm eine rein! (Anonym)