Subject: Re: Anyone ever used a Compaq EVO laptop?
To: Lindgren, Jon <Jon.Lindgren@gs.com>
From: Andrew Brown <At.Brown@morganstanley.com>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 06/02/2003 12:01:01
> > certainly the laptop you describe seems to win in all those
> > areas, but i've found that running anything but the
> > proscribed os on a compaq machine can lead to mind-numbing
> > frustration.
>
> Aha.  Arg[v].  I actually hadn't thought of that...

nuless they've gotten smart and put the bios/cmos stuff somewhere on
the mainboard and moved it off the hard drive...

> Damn.  I'll give the archives a search - perhaps someone on port-i386 has
> one.

yes.  find the sucker.  :)

> > that coupled with compaq's propensity for using
> > strange hardware means that getting netbsd running is always
> > a pain in the ass.
>
> Good point.

unless, of course, you don't care about video or sound.  beyond the
standard beep and the 80x25 text console.

> > ps - does it have a built-in serial port?
>
> It's got a 9 pin right on the back.

excellent.  i'm pleasantly surprised.  :)

--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender
does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.