Subject: Smalls is closing... jazz is moving (fwd)
To: None <regional-nyc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Shalayeff <mickey@lucifier.net>
List: regional-nyc
Date: 05/30/2003 14:17:18
re
dunno if anybody been there before...
the plan is to go there tomorrow and smoke all night.
cu

----- Forwarded message from List Name -----

Dear all,

As some of you have heard through rumor, smalls is having its final jazz send-off at 183 W.10th street, NYC on May 31st.

Smalls is closing its doors.

Fat Cat, the sister club on Christopher street, continues to be open 4 days a week... so please come and visit. (stay tuned to the website for schedule and info).

Smalls' closing was the front page story in today's New York Sun.
This story is attached here.

Thank you all very much for being such dedicated patrons (though I bet it was your pleasure). Please visit the website periodically, because although Smalls is closing its present location Mitch and all the musicians are continuing on.

~~hope to see you out and about and listening to jazz
New York Sun
May 30, 2003

The cityís jazz mecca ó Smalls ó will close its doors for good after tomorrow nightís performance ó with little fanfare and one terrific last jam. "What a great send-off weíll have," said club owner Mitch Borden. "Itís a great line-up."

Great last show or not, jazz lovers are stunned that the West Village club is closing its doors.

"I canít believe itís closing. If Iíd known, I never wouldíve let that happen," said Samidh Guha, a club regular.
   "This has to be a joke, youíre breaking my heart," said Ron Carmi, a devotee in Los Angeles who frequented Smalls "all the time" during the six years he lived in New York. "Every time I go back [to New York], I try to make it. IímÖa little stunned. I donít know where Iím gonna go for jazz. What a bummer."

   Mr. Borden, 46, said he was forced to close the 10-yearold club due to dwindling patronage post-9/11, debts, and skyrocketing rent ó sentiments echoed by a variety of jazz club owners, some of whom said the new smoking ban also has played a part.

   "Itís more the economy than anything else,"said Stephen Jones, owner of Knickerbocker Bar and Grill on University Place. "Drinking and smoking and listening to jazz kind of went hand in hand. Jazz as a popular music form is going through a lull. Itís not a young personís music."

   Michael Yaíacobi, owner of Kíavíehíaz on Mercer Street, agreed.
   "We got hit very badly by September 11," he said. "We fell down 50% to 60%. Now, again with the cigarettes, we fall down again."

   He said average nightly crowds have plummeted to as low as 120, from nearly 300. "Also, there are no tourists in the city," he said.
As for Smalls, "People werenít coming for like a year," Mr. Borden said. "I thought it would get better."

Mr. Borden said he took out loans in the hope that business would expand, but when turnout remained low, he refused to increase the $10 cover charge or sell food, drinks, or souvenirs to make ends meet.

   "Iíd rather die than make changes,"Mr.Borden said."I feel very strongly about no alcohol, nothing to buy. If I canít have it that way, I donít want it at all."

   "I never wanted to make a business out of Smalls," he said. "I just wanted to scrape by, pay the bills, create an otherworldly jazz club, make it the most fantastic place. Break all the rules as far as jazz clubs go."

   Mr. Borden ó and his many fans ó feel he succeeded.

   Housed inconspicuously in a basement on West 10 th Street, Smalls had a reputation for featuring the cityís best jazz musicians nightly.

   Patrons who braved the plunge down the steep wooden staircase into the cozy, dark lounge plastered with pictures of jazz greats were treated to 10 hours of live music, beginning at 10 p.m.

   "You really had to have good chops to get up there," Mr. Carmi said."This had a completely different taste," he said, noting the sense of community. "You didnít know what you were gonna get ó itís like magic."
   Mr. Borden said heís encouraging customers to visit Fat Cat, a billiards club on Christopher Street where he rents a room four nights a week for jazz performances. For a $15 cover, patrons will receive a drink and live music until 2 a.m. on weekdays, and 4 a.m. on weekends.
   "I try to tell [customers], ĎIím moving, not closing, donít worry about it,í " he said.

   But fans are not so easily appeased.

   "This place has a classic sense to it, a sense of history," said devotee Jared Harary."Itís a loss ó a loss for the city."

   "I think itís very,very sad,"said Sandra Niemann."It was the very first jazz club I ever went to in New York City. I canít think of any jazz club in the city like Smalls. Itís the end of an era."

   Mr. Borden said audience support lately has been overwhelming. He said a few customers have offered him $40,000 to keep Smalls open, but he refused them since he does not want to get deeper in debt.

   "I adore the public," Mr. Borden said."The people that come to Smalls are the most brilliant people Iíve ever seen. Theyíre not normal by any means. Birds of a feather flock together, and they all flock to Smalls."

   Mr. Borden said he would consider reopening Smalls, but doubts heíd succeed. He said a two-year hunt for a cheaper venue turned out fruitless. "I would only aspire if I can do the same thing," he said. "What you need is an inexpensive basement, no more than $3,000 a month. I pay $8,000 a month now." Despite his misfortune, Mr. Borden professes optimism for the future. "Itís show biz," Mr. Borden said. "The show must go on.Thatís it! "

This email should only be sent to those who have asked to receive it. To unsubscribe, return to the web form where you first subscribed and click the "unsubscribe" button, or contact the owner of the website.

----- End of forwarded message from List Name -----

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)