Subject: Re: pkgsrccon in .uk?
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: regional-london
Date: 08/29/2007 15:49:13
Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Adrian Portelli wrote:
>> Stephen Borrill wrote:
>>> I see there is some discussion about where to hold the next pkgsrccon
>>> and I believe that Adrian has proposed London (which is getting flack
>>> for being expensive to stay in, etc.).
>>
>> Hmmm, unless people have discussed it further since I mentioned it, this
>> wasn't how I remember the reaction.  Most people were actually quite
>> open to it and the US based ppl liked it as well as it meant less travel
>> for them as they could fly directly into London.
>
> I certainly don't want to step on your toes, Adrian. This was just
> something I picked up on chat channels.

No toes stepped on over here :)  I was just curious if the discussion
had progressed any further than I was aware of and if London had been
ruled out or another venue mentioned.  I don't hold a particular
attachment to having it in London, but I'd like to see it in the UK next
year or sometime soon.

>>> If there was interest, I could look at organising it in Cambridge. I
>>> could probably arrange accommodation at one the colleges (depending
>>> exactly when it is held) and access to a lecture theatre. It's also
>>> easy to get to from Stansted.
>>
>> As always this is the issue that I think will end up determining it.  We
>> need a) a place to host it and b) people willing to organise it c)
>> consensus on the location.  I haven't discussed a) with any people from
>> London but I also don't think b) will be an issue.  The real issue is to
>> poll a the developers and get a reaction on c).
>
> Indeed. Perhaps this would better discussed on a different list.

I think it's great that we have multiple venues in the UK which seem to
have people interested in doing all the hard work to help host such an
event.  I think the next step is just to do some polls and see what type
of a reaction we get so far.

adrian.