Subject: Data recovery
To: None <regional-london@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Richards <glenn@squirrelsolutions.co.uk>
List: regional-london
Date: 01/09/2005 07:14:39
Typical that this would happen when I haven't backed up for a while...

We had some power "issues" over the weekend. It would appear when the
power came back it did so with a surge, and although my NetBSD desktop
box was plugged into both a UPS and surge protector it's fried the hard
disk.

Now there's quite a bit of stuff on there that hadn't been backed up
(typically), so I'm considering sending the drive off for recovery.
(When powered up, it seeks repeatedly - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB.)
The disk is formatted to FFSv1, originally NetBSD 1.6.1 although I'd
been running 1.6ZG on it for a while. Anyone know of a recovery outfit
that a. can handle FFS format disks, and b. doesn't charge the GDP of
several third world countries to do so?

(On the up side, I've stuck a new disk in and installed 2.0 on the
box... think I'll be putting RAID on this one and investing in a tape
backup system...)

--
  Glenn Richards                                     Tel: (01453) 845735
  Squirrel Solutions                 http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk/

  IT consultancy, hardware and software support, broadband installation