Subject: Re: Shops for used cameras?
To: Bernd Ernesti <veego@NetBSD.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: regional-jp
Date: 03/26/2007 11:32:43
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> sorry for the offtopic, but I thought I ask here if someone can
> direct me to a shop where I could buy a used camera (Canon IXY 800IS).

There's a large list here:

     http://www.asbcreative.com/tokyo_used_cameras.html

Map Camera in Shinjuku is fairly convenient, though not terribly large.
Fujiya in Nakano is one of my favourites, and has a great selection.
I've bought stuff from Lemon in Ginza, too, though the Ginza shops tend
to be more expensive.

However, unless you really need this particular model for some reason,
and it's no longer available new, I can't really recommend buying
a used digital compact camera. Used cameras are not cheap in Japan
(though they are usually in quite good condition), and in the compact
digital world things move so fast that you'll probably get much better
price/performance from a new camera.

The situation is quite different for film SLR gear, of course, where
the body is no big deal (it's just a box with a few simple controls and
a light meter, after all) and 25-year-old lenses are often as good as
anything made today.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            <cjs@cynic.net>             +81 90 7737 2974
   by those who have not got it.    --George Bernard Shaw