Subject: Re: Hankaku Katakana
To: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: regional-jp
Date: 11/18/2004 09:50:17
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Joel Rees wrote:

> This really doesn't answer your question, but the 8 bit katakana are
> deprecated in the Unicode world.

I know. And they don't exist at all in the ISO-2022-JP world. However,
they're extensively used in mobile development because they save a heck
of a lot of screen real estate, as well as some bandwidth, which is
important when your screen is eight lines of 20 (half-width) characters
and you're paying for each 128-byte packet you send.

It's going to be used for a while yet on websites for mobile phones.

> vim handles Japanese lately in some configurations, but I've never
> tried half-width katakana on it. Have you been able to save those
> characters from vim in the past?

Works great on Linux. It's just NetBSD that has the issue.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA