Subject: NetBSD at the Linux-Kongress @ Nuremberg, Germany, Sep 2006
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: regional-de
Date: 09/09/2006 12:30:43

---1756158181-899471517-1157797843=:1592

  * NetBSD at the Linux-Kongress @ Nuremberg, Germany, Sep 2006

The 13th International Linux System Technology Conference AKA=20
Linux-Kongress took place the past few days, September 5-8, 2006 at the=20
Georg-Simon-Ohm-Fachhochschule in N=FCrnberg, Germany. The event sported tw=
o=20
days of tutorials and two days of talks, and we had a NetBSD booth during=
=20
the last two days of the conference.

Nuremberg's not far from my home town and as I can stay with my girlfriend=
=20
I made it to the conference. The booth setup consisted of info-material=20
(some books, printout of NetBSD, Internals and pkgsrc guide, flyers etc.)=
=20
and some merchandizing (t-shirts, posters, CDs, pins, CPU badges,=20
stickers), some posters, our NetBSD flag and a shark running a slideshow.

On thursday the booth was ran by my girlfriend Kathrin and me, on friday I=
=20
had some occasional help fom Kvedulv fom the Munic BSE group.

A few points of interest:
  * several people knowing/recognizing NetBSD very well, but Linux
    "worked first", and it still works, so there's no real reason to
    make them change. When there are problems with distribution X, people
    are more likely to switch to distribution Y.
  * 1 person asking about the future of the NetBSD project and if it's
    really going to be cancelled. Had to tell them that's definitely not
    going to be the case, whatever our disgruntled project founder says.
  * I had a very interesting talk with John 'maddog' Hall about keeping up
    the fun in hacking & open source. Do what you want to do and you will
    be good at it!
  * I had a lengthy walk with Benedikt Stockebrand about his new IPv6 book
  * pkgsrc needs active marketing - it can scratch quite some itches, but
    people don't know about it! Anyone interested in making a flyer for our
    collection (http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/advocacy/#flyers) please
    contact me!
  * I made contact with a local user group, and may be able to help out
    ad one of their upcoming install parties with NetBSD contents.

All in all the event was big fun, very relaxed with a very nice & friendly=
=20
athmosphere.

Anyone wanting to attend a similar event (and possibly do a NetBSD booth=20
there :) have a look at the GUUG spring talks, which will take place=20
Feb 27 to Mar 3 2007 in Berlin, Germany. See=20
http://www.guug.de/veranstaltungen/ffg2007/ for more information.

  - Hubert
---1756158181-899471517-1157797843=:1592--