Subject: Re: DEC sun3 gear available in Ottawa
To: None <>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: regional-ca
Date: 11/13/2007 19:42:19

    Douglas> The info I've found says that the Sun 3/50 takes a max of 4
    Douglas> MB ram and
    Douglas> runs at 15.7 MHz, while the Sun 3/160 takes max 16 MB and
    Douglas> runs at 16.67
    Douglas> MHz.  Is this wrong?  What NetBSD port do they use?  What
    Douglas> size drive do
    Douglas> they have?

  No drive is in the case of either unit.
  You can network boot them, or find a SCSI drive. (You'll need a
special cable). I doubt I have a cable, but I could look.  I might still
have a 660Mb drive.

    Douglas> Please clarify what you mean by "but I run 1.4T".  1.4
    Douglas> Twhat?  1.4 TB drives?

  NetBSD 1.4.
  Honestly, if you don't know much about these, I don't suggest
learning with them.    These machines were used in 1990 (i.e. obsoleted
by businesses) They were completely obsolete in 1995.
  Making them work would be a significant effort for someone who is an
expert in the equipment.   I stopped running 24Mb colour Sun 3/60s in
1997. Had I 3/50s or 3/160s, it would have been in 1993.

  The thing about a Sun3 is that it's too complex for random hardware
hacking, but not really useful for anything else. It has no digital I/O
or analog I/O and you can't wirewrap anything up to it.
  If you want to learn about old stuff, I suggest a C=64. Seriously.

  Or if you want to play with old stuff that can run Unix, then get
something that is known to be working when you get it.

- --
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
] |device driver[

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Finger me for keys