Subject: Re: DEC sun3 gear available in Ottawa
To: Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: regional-ca
Date: 11/13/2007 05:51:16
On Apr 5,  2:19am, "Douglas A. Tutty" wrote:
} On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:18:25AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
} >
} > If I can help, let me know; Suns have been the closest thing I have to
} > a specialty, and I know a fair bit about VAXen as well, especially the
} > MicroVAX-II.  (However, this is mostly hardware and low-level software
} > knowledge; I can't, for example, help you with Solaris or recent VMS.)
}
} > I don't think NetBSD really works on the MicroVAX-II any longer; the
} > "16M is too tiny to even think about supporting" voices have gotten too
} > strong.  Suns with a 64M or more should Just Work; the -3/60 maxes out
} > at 24M, which is plenty for me, but I run 1.4T.
}
} The info I've found says that the Sun 3/50 takes a max of 4 MB ram and
} runs at 15.7 MHz, while the Sun 3/160 takes max 16 MB and runs at 16.67
} MHz.  Is this wrong?  What NetBSD port do they use?  What size drive do
} they have?

     They would use the sun3 port.  The size of the drive depends on
what was put into them.  Both machines support the old 50 pin SCSI
drives, so they could always be changed.  4 MB of RAM is probably not
enough to do anything useful with modern NetBSD.  16 MB may work with a
lot of trimming.  Note that the 3/160 is a "deskside" machine.  It is
VME based and is a rather large box.  It would also suck a lot of
power and be very noisy.

} Please clarify what you mean by "but I run 1.4T".  1.4 Twhat?  1.4 TB
} drives?

     He runs NetBSD 1.4T, an ancient developement version.  1 TB drives
are barely out on the market.  I don't think there are any 1.4 TB
drives.

}-- End of excerpt from "Douglas A. Tutty"