Subject: Re: DEC sun3 gear available in Ottawa
To: None <regional-ca@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: regional-ca
Date: 11/13/2007 03:18:25
> I'm somewhat interested.  Caveat:  I'm totally unfamiare with
> Sun/VAX/etc.  So I would want it for the learning experience.

If I can help, let me know; Suns have been the closest thing I have to
a specialty, and I know a fair bit about VAXen as well, especially the
MicroVAX-II.  (However, this is mostly hardware and low-level software
knowledge; I can't, for example, help you with Solaris or recent VMS.)

> I'll carry on searching for info on these boxes.  What is their
> current status: do they run, can one install the current release of
> NetBSD on them?

I don't think NetBSD really works on the MicroVAX-II any longer; the
"16M is too tiny to even think about supporting" voices have gotten too
strong.  Suns with a 64M or more should Just Work; the -3/60 maxes out
at 24M, which is plenty for me, but I run 1.4T.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign