Subject: Re: visiting australia - want advise
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: regional-au
Date: 10/13/2005 11:31:16
--BtmVPk+Smchi6n7w

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:29:55PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> I'll attend a conference (neutron scattering) in Sydney
> from november 27 to december 2, and do some travelling
> afterwards, till january 20.

Excellent.

> The coarse plan so far is to take a rental car and go from
> Sydney to Melbourne/Adelaide along the coast during
> december

That's a nice trip, there are great spots all along the coastline,
with a mix of summer-holiday seaside towns, national parks and
bushland, rural gourmet foody places, etc.  More than happy to
recommend some highlights, especially with some idea of what you're
looking for.

> perhaps visit ayers rock (tourist's obligation:-)
> if some time is left.=20
> Beginning of january I'd take a
> flight or train to Perth and spend the rest of the time
> around there.

as noted, I wouldn't drive there without a lot of time, but a guided
trip for a few days from alice springs to uluru via some of the spots
in between might be worthwhile. Flying adelaide-alice-perth might be
the best way to fit this in.

Once in perth, i'd thoroughly recommend heading south to the Margaret
River and Pemberton regions for wine, beaches and spectacular forests.

> What do insiders think about that plan? Would you
> recommend to do a trip to tasmania and/or cangoroo island?

I can recommend many things; choosing and fitting them in will be the
difficulty, so it depends what you're looking for.  If you like
bushwalking/hiking/wilderness, there are spots in Tassie that are hard
to pass up (and pleasnatly hard to get to :) If you're after seeing
something drastically different from European geography and scale, or
you prefer to stay around civilisation, other places might be.

And of course, you must stop in an meet with NetBSD folks along the
way.  Personally, I'll be away from Melbourne from mid-late Dec till
early Jan; I hope this doesn't mean I'll miss the chance to catch you
somewhere along the path.

--
Dan.
--BtmVPk+Smchi6n7w