Subject: anyone want a Sun SS1000?
To: None <regional-au@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: regional-au
Date: 05/02/2005 13:48:57
Folks,
        I believe that we will disposing of our Sun SS1000 here, it is

a quad 40Mhz SuperSPARC machine, 256Mb of RAM (I think), it has two
system boards.  It is stuffed with network interfaces and scsi cards
(some fsbe's, I think there are a couple of wide+hme interfaces there
too).  I will have to remove the hard disks from the machine before
anyone can have it.

*NOTE*: as far as I know NetBSD WILL NOT run on this beast - the
architecture of this machine is _VERY_ different to other sun machines
(well, apart from it's bigger brother the SS2000).  I am not entirely
sure when Sun dropped the architecture from Solaris, it was running
2.5 but I am reasonably sure that it will do 2.6 at the very least.

More info can be found here:

<http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SS1000/SS1000.html>

and before anyone asks, yes it is a SS1000 _not_ a SS1000E.

Oh yeah, did I mention it is big and heavy?  It's not exactly tall
(about 4 to 5 RU tall), width wise it does barely fit into a 19" rack
and it is fairly deep.

If there are any takers then let me know but you need to be quick :)

The machine is in Adelaide out near Elizabeth.  If anyone interstate
wants it then they will need to pay for shipping :)

--
Brett Lymn