Subject: [SAGE-VIC] Talk -- 11am MONDAY 31 May: Internet Mapping Experiences, Bill Cheswick
To: None <regional-au@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: regional-au
Date: 05/31/2004 09:46:22
--Ah40dssYA/cDqAW1

This might be of interest ...

----- Forwarded message from Michael Ciavarella <mikec@cs.mu.oz.au> -----

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:06:41 +1000
From: mikec@cs.mu.oz.au (Michael Ciavarella)
To: sage-vic@sage-au.org.au
Subject: [SAGE-VIC]=20
	Talk -- 11am MONDAY 31 May: Internet Mapping Experiences,
	Bill Cheswick

Hi all,

Some of you may find the following talk interesting if you can get
there.

Cheers

Mike

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Time:        MONDAY 31 May 2004,    11:00am - 12:00noon

Venue:       Theatre 3, ICT Building
             111 Barry Street, CARLTON

Speaker:     Bill Cheswick, Chief Scientist, Lumeta Corp.  NJ.

Title:       Experiences with Internet and Intranet Mapping

Abstract:

	The Internet Mapping Project started at Bell Labs in 1997 to
	collect long term Internet topological data and visualize the
	results.  In 1999 we focused on the Serbian internet during the
	NATO bombing, and observed major connectivity disruptions.

	In 2000, this technology was spun off to a startup company,
	Lumeta.  Since then, Lumeta has enhanced this technology and
	scanned over fifty large corporate intranets, and a number of
	critical government networks.  We can now report generalized
	characteristics of these large networks, showing variations in
	network management techniques and control over large networks.

	We are now working on tools to configure the Honeyd anti-hacking
	tool to emulate these large networks.

About the speaker:
	Ches has been out and about in the Internet security field since
	the late 1980s. He is known for his early work in firewalls
	and proxies, and for the book he has co-authored with Steve
	Bellovin and now Avi Rubin. In summer 2000 Ches helped spin off
	the Internet cartography he did at Bell Labs with Hal Burch into
	a startup, Lumeta Corp, which explores the extent and perimeter
	hosts of corporate and government intranets.

--=20

The Sage-vic mailing list is a member-only service.  Postings to this list =
are authorised by individual members, and do not necessarily reflect SAGE-A=
U policy or position. This article may not be reproduced or quoted beyond t=
his forum without written permission of all contributing authors.  Further =
information can be found at=20
http://www.sage-au.org.au/maillist.html

----- End forwarded message -----

--Ah40dssYA/cDqAW1