Subject: re: looking for a spare ultra 2 (Re: spare sun sparc bits.)
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: regional-au
Date: 01/12/2004 02:25:07
   On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:07:51AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

   > how is 32 bit compat mode broken?  i have a sparc64 setup now and
   > looking at netbsd32 lossage is what i've been wanting to do...

   you cannot use the shared libraries due to the linker not recognising
   them and the kernel refuses to exec a 32-bit executable:

   [root@siren] ./ctags
   -bash: ./ctags: cannot execute binary file
   [root@siren] file ctags
   ctags: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

   I think Frank has purposely disabled 32bit emulation at the moment
   because it is known-to-be borked.

hmmm that's a pity.  netbsd32 (including sunos32 & svr4_32)
is working pretty nicely on the sparc64 port now.  i had a
look around and i found that ifconfig(8) is pretty broken
but not much else appears to be... guess i found my first
target to kill :-)

   > BTW, debian appears to support amd64 in unreleased ware.

   Cool, I may give that a go - mind you my problems with gentoo were
   self generated I think, from the little I played with gentoo it
   reminded me very strongly of our pkgsrc (I had someone else tell me
   the same thing unprompted).

i looked a bit closer and it seems safer to run 32 bit mode there
right now, though they do support 64 kernel with 64/32 apps...it's
all not in a debian release yet of course, heh heh heh... but their
32 bit emulation works :)

.mrg.