Subject: Re: looking for a spare ultra 2 (Re: spare sun sparc bits.)
To: matthew green <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: regional-au
Date: 01/12/2004 00:53:49
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:07:51AM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> how is 32 bit compat mode broken?  i have a sparc64 setup now and
> looking at netbsd32 lossage is what i've been wanting to do...

you cannot use the shared libraries due to the linker not recognising
them and the kernel refuses to exec a 32-bit executable:

[root@siren] ./ctags
-bash: ./ctags: cannot execute binary file
[root@siren] file ctags
ctags: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I think Frank has purposely disabled 32bit emulation at the moment
because it is known-to-be borked.

> BTW, debian appears to support amd64 in unreleased ware.

Cool, I may give that a go - mind you my problems with gentoo were
self generated I think, from the little I played with gentoo it
reminded me very strongly of our pkgsrc (I had someone else tell me
the same thing unprompted).

Brett Lymn