Subject: Re: gcc 3.3 worth enabling?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: regional-au
Date: 08/06/2003 14:44:36
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:30:54 +1000 Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:52:33PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
>   | Presumably, the USE_TOOLS_TOOLCHAIN=no line in mk.conf is now
>   | redundant, and I do expect to be doing ./build -E again as the
>   | ongoing remake world path.
>
> I *really* *really* advise against "-E".

sheer laziness and luck made it a 'works for me' item. But I accept its probably
stupid, and I'm going to try and adopt a cleaner path such as the recipe given
below.

> It's such an easy way to screw your system, and my time is limited enough
> that I can't really use it supporting people who build to DESTDIR=/.
>
> With my builds, I don't even both setting TOOLDIR, RELEASEDIR or
> DESTDIR in the environment.  I only set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, although
> that's strictly not necessary.
>
> In fact, all of my builds are done effectively with
> 	./build.sh -uU -M/top/of/obj distribution
> on a read-only source tree as non-root.

And you assert this is known to work, right now, from a pre-gcc-3 state to a
gcc-3 state? (I'm not in that state now, I made my shift.) I think there is
enough traffic here to suggest we missed a rather important line or two in
UPDATING along the lines of:

	"its not exactly a flag-day, but please be careful if you want to cut to
	 gcc 3.3 right now. Here is a known working recipe, and what you should
 	 do until its bedded in properly ..."

mind you, the same can be said of the pthreads instability, and a few other
recent earthquakes.  We don't seem to get quite as many Subject: HEADS UP as we
used to.

> I generally then build sets and just pax extract those, although
> "install=/" is just as useful.
>

> I've been meaning to tweak the "iso-image" target in etc so that I can
> craete a full bootable CD ISO image of the release I just created,
> including with my custom kernels, so I have a "known point snapshot"
> of the system I'm running on a given box.  Something to think about
> down the track.
>

> Luke.

I think that would be a really nice idea. But, I think you probably want to
clear the 103 other tasks ahead in the queue :-)

Thanks to everyone for the tips on upgrading to 3.3 btw. Nice to be here.

cheers
	-george
--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC