Subject: Re: gcc 3.3 worth enabling?
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: regional-au
Date: 08/05/2003 20:30:54
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:52:33PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
  | Presumably, the USE_TOOLS_TOOLCHAIN=no line in mk.conf is now
  | redundant, and I do expect to be doing ./build -E again as the
  | ongoing remake world path.

I *really* *really* advise against "-E".

It's such an easy way to screw your system, and my time is limited enough
that I can't really use it supporting people who build to DESTDIR=/.

With my builds, I don't even both setting TOOLDIR, RELEASEDIR or
DESTDIR in the environment.  I only set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, although
that's strictly not necessary.

In fact, all of my builds are done effectively with
	./build.sh -uU -M/top/of/obj distribution
on a read-only source tree as non-root.

I generally then build sets and just pax extract those, although
"install=/" is just as useful.

I've been meaning to tweak the "iso-image" target in etc so that I can
craete a full bootable CD ISO image of the release I just created,
including with my custom kernels, so I have a "known point snapshot"
of the system I'm running on a given box.  Something to think about
down the track.

Luke.