Subject: Re: gcc 3.3 worth enabling?
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: regional-au
Date: 08/05/2003 20:24:23
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:00:10AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
  | On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:29:13 +1000 matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> wrote:
  |

  | >    nothing explicit has been put in UPDATING. Does one have to be careful
  | >    about the initial build process? eg is it as simple as one line in
  | >    /etc/mk.conf and away she goes? would build -E be unworkable or ok?
  | >

  | > i don't use -E so i don't know (or care :-).  i wouldn't use it to -D /,
  | > but just setting USE_TOOLS_TOOLCHAIN=no should get you a build that works
  | > (not "distribution" or anything that check's the sets lists..yet.)
  | >

  | > .mrg.
  |
  | Ok. last silly q for a bit: how do I get from /usr/obj/destdir.i386 into my live
  | system when build has completed, or does it do it for me?
  |
  | I did:
  |
  | ./build.sh -V NOCLEANDIR=true build in /usr/src with
  | USE_TOOLS_TOOLCHAIN=no set in /etc/mk.conf
  |
  | Do I just boot single user and do tar pipes into the live system?

You can do
	./build.sh [favorite options] install=/
if your kernel is "up to date", and that will copy stuff with the
appropriate permissions.

(BTW: Why "-V NOCLEANDIR=true" and not just "-u" ? :-)

For example, I often build with:
	./build.sh -uU distribution
as an ordinary user.  Then as root I could run
	# ./build.sh -uU install=/
and the files would be copied with the correct permissions.

To be a bit safer, you could build sets with
	./build.sh [opts] sets
after a "distribution" build (which doesn't take much longer than a
"build" build), boot to single user, and then extract the tar files
in the RELEASEDIR (which build.sh will display when its finished).

Luke.