Subject: Re: gcc 3.3 worth enabling?
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: regional-au
Date: 08/05/2003 12:52:33
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:14:18 +0930 Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:00:10AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
> >
> > Do I just boot single user and do tar pipes into the live system?
> >

> Single user probably would be safest... but I normally do:
>
> cd /usr/build && tar cf - | (cd / && tar -x -B -p -f - --unlink)
>
> in multi-user.  The --unlink is important otherwise running binaries
> will not be overwritten which can lead to... lossage.  Oh and then I
> run /etc/postinstall to fix up /etc.
>
> --
> Brett Lymn

I did this command sequence in single user (s/cf -/cBpf - ./) and have rebooted
into a gcc 3.3.1 world.

I think I still need to force an update of my MBR, and of course remake xsrc,
and the pkgsrc world I live in (gulp)

Presumably, the USE_TOOLS_TOOLCHAIN=no line in mk.conf is now redundant, and I
do expect to be doing ./build -E again as the ongoing remake world path.

cheers
	-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC