Subject: Re: gcc 3.3 worth enabling?
To: Brett Lymn <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: regional-au
Date: 08/05/2003 10:54:18
Brett Lymn wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:00:10AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
> >
> > Do I just boot single user and do tar pipes into the live system?
> >
> Single user probably would be safest... but I normally do:
> cd /usr/build && tar cf - | (cd / && tar -x -B -p -f - --unlink)
> in multi-user.  The --unlink is important otherwise running binaries
> will not be overwritten which can lead to... lossage.  Oh and then I
> run /etc/postinstall to fix up /etc.

Except that --unlink has been the default for ... years, so you
don't really need it.  :-)

I tend to do this in multi-user simply 'cos I usually can't be
bothered doing the single user dance.  I also can't remember the
originally command line, but make sure that you don't have new
/etc files in /usr/build - you don't want to trash your existing
config!  I usually extract from sets, and don't extract the etc.tgz

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD Support and Service: