Subject: Re: adding packages to pkgsrc?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: regional-au
Date: 06/06/2003 18:54:17
On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:14:22PM +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:

> I've been hacking together a Cricket package for pkgsrc (which would
> go into /usr/pkgsrc/net/cricket) ... I have it downloading the source,
> making sure the dependancies are met but now I'm stuck ...
>
> The configure stage appears to mung the #! line in the scripts which
> is OK and there doesn't appear to be any build required. What's got me
> stumped is what to do with PLIST and how do tell it to do the actual
> install - ie, moving stuff from work.i386/cricket-blah/blah into
> /usr/pkg/bin/blah or whatever ...

If the package in question has no standard "make install" mechanism,
you can create a do-install target in the package Makefile to do the
required things using ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR}, et al.

creating the PLIST can be as simple as running "make print-PLIST"
after installing your package. provided the modification time is
updated when the files are copied to their final resting place, this
should pick up all files. If not, you should check carefully that all
the files are in the PLIST, and that the package installs and
deinstalls cleanly.

> What doco is there on this sort of thing? I've been hacking on the
> files I copied from another package, but I'm aware I may have missed
> something. Also, what do I need to do to actually hand this newly
> birthed package over to someone to have it included in the CVS tree?

you could submit it via send-pr(1) and include a URL to the tarball,
or perhaps you'd like to check out pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net. :)

the pkgsrc doco is at http://www.NetBSD.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/, or
Packages.txt at the top level of pkgsrc/, but bear in mind that
Packages.txt will be disappearing in the not-too-distant future.

grant.