Subject: Re: Australian Fortunes
To: None <regional-au@NetBSD.org>
From: john duncan <agley@optusnet.com.au>
List: regional-au
Date: 05/31/2003 16:27:38
On Wed, 28 May 2003 22:26:09 +0800
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au> wrote:

> john duncan said:
> > Hi,
> >    I am collecting Australian poetry, pithy sayings and jokes

> No, I don't, and I had a look and couldn't find anything like that.  Not
> even a page of Australian quotes that you could snarf!
>
> Here's one, though, if you don't already have it:
>
>   "Such is life." -- Ned Kelly, 11 November 1880.
>
> I found this one, too, though I haven't found any other references to it
> so not sure if it's legit or not.
>
>   The more you know, the less you need. -- Australian Aboriginal saying
>   (taken from http://www.jordoncooper.com/resources/quotes/s-quotes.htm)
>
> A few sites that I did find in my Google-trawling, that may be worth
> looking at as spring-boards to build up your fortunes file:
>
>   Quote UnQuote
>   http://www.peterwilkinson.karoo.net/
>
>   Quotes :: jordoncooper.com
>   http://www.jordoncooper.com/resources/quotes/
>
>   The Mildly Amusing Area - True Australian radio phone-in
>   http://cgi.mildlyamusingarea.com/cgi-bin/maa_sjoke.cgi?10535
>
>   St George's Toastmasters Club: Useful Web Sites
>   http://www.bizinternet.com.au/StGeorges/links.html
>
> If you're interested, the search terms I used on Google were:
>
>   australian quotes fortunes -finance -invest
>
> (That still hits a lot of crud but gets rid of most of the stuff to do
> with the other type of quote.)
>
> Andrew.

     Thanks Andrew,
                   I've been bushwalking up at Lamington Plateau that
is why the delay. I did have a bit of a look around but thought someone
might know of some old time Unix resource. Back to the hard way!
                    A couple of the links you give are new to me.

                                  All the best,
                                      John Duncan

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley                          Robert Burns  1785