Subject: Re: Australian Fortunes
To: None <regional-au@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>
List: regional-au
Date: 05/28/2003 22:26:09
john duncan said:
> Hi,
>    I am collecting Australian poetry, pithy sayings and jokes
> to make my own fortune files; following this method
>
> http://kimihia.org.nz/how/fortune/
>
>    It occurred to me that I might be re-inventing the wheel.
> Does anyone know of any available Australian fortune files?

No, I don't, and I had a look and couldn't find anything like that.  Not
even a page of Australian quotes that you could snarf!

Here's one, though, if you don't already have it:

  "Such is life." -- Ned Kelly, 11 November 1880.

I found this one, too, though I haven't found any other references to it
so not sure if it's legit or not.

  The more you know, the less you need. -- Australian Aboriginal saying
  (taken from http://www.jordoncooper.com/resources/quotes/s-quotes.htm)

A few sites that I did find in my Google-trawling, that may be worth
looking at as spring-boards to build up your fortunes file:

  Quote UnQuote
  http://www.peterwilkinson.karoo.net/

  Quotes :: jordoncooper.com
  http://www.jordoncooper.com/resources/quotes/

  The Mildly Amusing Area - True Australian radio phone-in
  http://cgi.mildlyamusingarea.com/cgi-bin/maa_sjoke.cgi?10535

  St George's Toastmasters Club: Useful Web Sites
  http://www.bizinternet.com.au/StGeorges/links.html

If you're interested, the search terms I used on Google were:

  australian quotes fortunes -finance -invest

(That still hits a lot of crud but gets rid of most of the stuff to do
with the other type of quote.)

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."