Re: Dom0 bad network performance

Hi Greg,

Am 13.02.21 um 19:42 schrieb Greg Troxel:
Jaromir suggested current; netbsd-9 XEN3_DOMU uses only 1 cpu, and my
understanding is that current runs SMP.  I'm guessing your box has a few
not-super-fast each cores, and so that might matter a lot.

Yes, I had tried that too and unfortunately when replying to the mail only Jaromir was on the recipient list. This was not intentional, because the question is also of general interest. I'll send the mail to port-xen again so that the order is preserved.

In summary: yes - under current I measured a doubling of the bandwidth - probably due to the use of both cores. So instead of ~30 MB/s I get ~60 MB/s.

It was later noted that the problem is only in Dom0 and not in DomU. Unfortunately, I can't confirm that. I have with current in the Dom0 now 60 MB/s, but in the guests (also current) in each case only just under 30 MB/s what corresponds to the value of Dom0 with use of only one core.

I would not have thought that the number of cores is so decisive here. Is the NetBSD network code SMP?

Kind regards
Matthias