Re: NetBSD DomU (PV) hangs on Xen 4.13.1 / NetBSD 9.1

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 15:43, Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> wrote:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> Am 22.12.2020 um 15:40 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
> >
> > Please test with a virtual disk backed by something else than a zvol ...
> >

> With this config...
>
> name = "builder91"
> type="pv"
> kernel = "/netbsd-XEN3_DOMU.gz"
> memory = 16384
> vcpus = 8
> vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:74:32:42,bridge=bridge0' ]
> disk = [
>      'file:/tank0/builder91.img,hda,rw',
> ]
>
> (and as seen in the path name, the image located on a ZFS dataset for
> the sake of quick snapshots) it seems to work flawless. Stress testing
> is still pending, but at least it boots into multiuser mode and provides
> normal response.
>
> So in summary, the "mistake" was that ZFS ZVOLs are not suitable yet for
> beeing used as backend storage for Xen Dom U? While this is not so good
> news, I am still happy as I learned something more on Xen configuration
> today and want to thank all of you for your valuable input.

Not entirely unrelated - the zvols work perfectly as a backend storage
for qemu-nvmm virtual machines.

I realise I shouldn't compare, but since qemu-nvmm became available,
I've seen little reason to go on using xen with NetBSD (I still use
XCP-NG, though).

> Kind regards
> Matthias

Chavdar