Re: NetBSD DomU (PV) hangs on Xen 4.13.1 / NetBSD 9.1

Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> writes:

> Hello together,
>
> re-building my Xen host is proving to be more of a challenge than I
> initially thought. Now that the machine boots from RAID, there is a
> problem running the virtual machines. Is there any known problem in
> the combination mentioned in the subject?
>
> This is my setup:
>
> Host
> ----
>
> - Xen Kernel 4.13.1 from pkgsrc-2020Q3 with NetBSD 9.1 DOM0
> - domain config
>
> name = "builder91"
> type="pv"
> kernel = "/netbsd-XEN3_DOMU.gz"
> memory = 16384
> vcpus = 8
> vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:74:32:42,bridge=bridge0' ]
> disk = [
>    'phy:/dev/zvol/rdsk/tank0/volumes/builder91,hda,rw',
>    'file:/tank1/archive/NetBSD-9.1-amd64.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r'
> ]
> boot = 'cd'
> vnc=1
> vnclisten = "0.0.0.0"
> vncpasswd = "in.secure"
> vncunused=1
> vga='stdvga'
> usbdevice = "tablet"

Hi Matthias,

Why do you use ioemu & vnc on PV mode ?

I'm a bit suprised it got this far actually.

A better way for your usecase might be to use PVHVM mode:

type=pvh

and boot from the GENERIC kernel, which has PVH support (in -current,
not sure about on 9.1 though).

Otherwise for PV mode, try to pare down the ioemu and vnc devices, use
the INSTALL domU kernels to install, and once done, swap out with the
regular domU kernel.

See http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto/#index4h1 for more.

HTH,
--