NetBSD-8.1 XEN3_DOM0 crashes with Areca ARC-1200 rev. B RAID controller.

Hi!

I'm writing this to the list only so that people googling for this will
find it and can get a hint about what the problem is and possibly work
around it. I'm not really asking for a fix for this, I'm merely trying
to help others. (Should $someone happen to have a large stash of free
time and knowledge, a fix would of course be welcome. ;-) )

I tried installing NetBSD 8.1 on a dom0 which has an Areca ARC-1200 rev.
B RAID controller on it. The controller has two 1 TB drives - one on
each channel. They are configured as RAID-1 (mirrored). The Areca
ARC-1200 rev. B (note "rev. B"!) has a different controller chip than
the initial revision - a chip that isn't supported by NetBSD. This was
known to me. See my posts to the port-amd64 list in June-July this year.

The machine also has two SATA drives connected directly to the
motherboard (SuperMicro) without any RAID configuration. These appear as
wd0 and wd1. wd0 is partitioned with GPT, and dk0 is the root wedge.

The GENERIC kernel ignores the Areca board, as expected, and boots
nicely from dk0.

The DOM0 kernel crashes spectacularly on contact with the Areca board,
it seems.

The error message is repeated a good number of times, then the machine
hangs for a few seconds and finally it reboots spontaneously.

The repeated error message (for googlers) is

fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 0x2 rip 0xffffffff8025d3a5 cs 0xe030 rflags 0x10246 cr2 0 ilevel 0x8 rsp 0xffffffff814a2ff0
curlwp 0xffffffff80d69ba0 pid 0.1 lowest kstack 0xffffffff814a22c0
kernel: page fault trap, code=0

When I remove the Areca board from the computer it boots the DOM0 kernel
like a charm, so if you found this article through google, try removing
the Areca RAID board if you can.

				Over and out.
                                  /Liman

PS. This goes for 8.0-REL and HEAD-201911100820Z too.
--
# Lars-Johan Liman, M.Sc.		 ! E-mail: liman%cafax.se@localhost