Re: Dom0 - fatal page fault in supervisor mode when root FS is on a slice of disklabel lying on a raidframe device, built up from two GPT wedges

Hallo,

Am 23.08.2018 um 12:41 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:29:59PM +0200, Matthias Petermann wrote:
Hello everybody,

After I described to netbsd-users yesterday[1] my problem with a certain
configuration of NetBSD with Xen, the thought came to me that the port-xen
list may be the more suitable place for it.

In the meantime, I have been able to narrow down the problem a bit more
precisely. My original post is that Xen with NetBSD as Dom0 brings a kernel
panic (page fault) to one and the same system when the root filesystem is
inside a disklabel lying on a raidframe mirror, which in turn is made up of
two components is present as GPT partitions. A comparable setup without the
raidframe mirror doesn't have this issue.

Various assumptions have not been confirmed, in further attempts I could
narrow the problem as follows:

1) Works perfectly:
* NetBSD / Xen 8.0-RELEASE Dom0
* Xen 4.11
* a single disk, GPT partitioned
* Root file system within the first GPT partition (dk0)
* BIOSboot (gpt biosboot .....) because the system has no UEFI BIOS, but the
hard disk requires GPT due to its size (3 TB)

2) Bring the kernel panic:
* NetBSD / Xen 8.0-RELEASE Dom0
* Xen 4.11
* two disks, GPT partitioned
* raidframe mirror raid0 consisting of the first GPT partition of each hard
disk
* A disklabel within the raid0
* Root file system within the slice raid0a
* BIOSboot (gpt biosboot .....) because the system has no UEFI BIOS, but the
hard disk requires GPT due to its size (3 TB)

Interesting:
If variant 2) without Xen but with the standard kernel of NetBSD 8.0 / amd64
booted, there is no problem.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause here? I would like to
understand how Dom0 accesses the root filesystem or the underlying devices.

did you pass the appropriate root= argument to the NetBSD kernel in the
Xen case ? The dom0 can't easily guess the right boot device in this
case, and it's possible it's using the wrong one.

Do you have pointer for me where the root= argument is documented?
I just tried with this boot.cfg line:

menu=Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin root=/dev/raid0a

but it doesn't seem to have any effekt.

Thanks & best regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Petermann <matthias%petermann-it.de@localhost> | www.petermann-it.de
GnuPG: 0x5C3E6D75 | 5930 86EF 7965 2BBA 6572  C3D7 7B1D A3C3 5C3E 6D75